Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mom's Smothered Steak and the Miss America Pageant

Tonight we went to my parent's house to have a birthday dinner for my sister Sandra. My Mom fixed our favorite, smothered steak. As you know I haven't been feeling well and there is really nothing better than your Mom's cooking to make you feel better. There isn't much that my Mom fixes that I don't absolutely love. I just love my Mom so much. I can't really describe in words how special she is to me and my family. She is always doing nice things for us. Every once in awhile she will buy Aidan a king size chocolate bar just because she knows how much he loves chocolate. Sometimes on her way home from work she and my Dad will stop by just to see their baby eventhough they know they will get to see him in just a few hours while James and I clean the bank. They are absolutely crazy about him, and likewise he his crazy about them. I think he knows that he has them wrapped around his little finger. It's just the simple things that they do for us that mean the most. After we had dinner I went home and watched the 88th annual Miss America pageant. I am so silly and I hate to admit this, but I still love to watch this. When I was little it was the highlight of my year. We would even have Miss America pageants at our slumber parties. I have some great pictures of the swimsuit competition stuck away somewhere. I think my best friend Jill's parents might even have videos. Oh, the blackmail they have on us. I didn't tonight, but I have been know to write down my top 15. Pathetic, I know!!! Too bad Miss Oklahoma didn't win, but I really was pulling for the girl who won. She was very pretty, smart, and talented. Maybe next year Miss Oklahoma will bring home the crown for us. That pretty much sums up our Saturday night. I don't think it gets much better than smothered steak and the Miss America pageant.

2 comments:

Newberry said...

So funny!!! That brings back so many wonderful memories. The pageant is sooner than it used to be because it used to always be on during my birthday party. Of course we always had our own pageants throughout the year no matter if the real one was on or not. Remember our duet (Make Me A Servant) for our talent act. Oh my, it embarrasses me just thinking about it! We were pretty dorky, but we thought we were so cool. Let's pray no one ever shows those old videos. By the way, I agree about your mom's cooking--wish I could have been there!

Kristie said...

I am getting so embarrased reading your comment. I forgot about the big duet. I wouldn't change any of it. They are wonderful memories, and you are right we were very dorky!